Friday, November 7, 2008

Why do bad things happen?

I have a friend who is a missionary in Africa. When she was 7 months pregnant she got Malaria. How scary! Well, when we were in peru and I was pregnant with Taylor I got chicken pox. Now you tell me who gets chicken pox at the age of 25 and when they are pregnant? Not too many people. I can say it was one of the worst times of my life. Not only did I have morning sickness, I had chicken pox all over me. On top of that, I was in another country having to speak spanish. 
At the time I really didn't understand why God would allow that to happen to me and mainly my baby. I was told that usually what happens is that the baby's brain stops growing and that Taylor could be born dead, if not that she could be born deaf or blind. You try not to worry but how can you not. I praise the Lord that Taylor was born perfect. She is one of the smartest children I have ever met. 
Now after my friend wrote me about having malaria and being worried about her baby I know why I had chicken pox. I was able to tell her that the Lord does preform miracles and that He protects even the unborn child. Her baby will be born in December, and I'm praying that her child will be healthy. 
Sometimes we can't understand why things happen at that time but I have been able to share my story with lots of new mothers to encourage them. Although, I thought it was the worst thing ever in my life the Lord has taught me that it has been an actual blessing to be able to help others, and learn to trust more in my Lord. 

2 comments:

Pilar said...

It is amazing and great that we can turn our trials into blessing to us and others. Ways to minister to others. Too bad we can't learn it without having to go through those trials. ;)

Julie said...

Wow, Beth. . . thanks for sharing those important reminders!